Track: Dover International Speedway
Race: Bar Harbor 200 presented by Sea Watch International
Date: October 6, 2018
No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang – Austin Cindric
Stage 1: 8th
Stage 2: 6th
Laps Completed: 200/200
Laps Led: 0
Driver Point Standings (behind first): 7th (-85)
Owner Point Standings (behind first): 1st (+6)
- Austin Cindric scored an eighth-place finish in the Bar Harbor 200 Saturday afternoon at Dover International Speedway to advance to the Round of Eight in the NASCAR Xfinity Series (NXS) Playoffs. The driver of the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang entered the 200-lap, 200-mile race at Dover nine points below the cutoff but kept his championship hopes alive with his 10th top-10 finish of the 2018 season.
- During the first 45-lap stage, Cindric ran inside of the top-10 during the first 45-lap of the race. He said his No. 22 Ford Mustang was too tight through the corners but held on to score an eighth-place finish when the segment ended – scoring three precious stage points. He pitted during the stage caution on lap 47 for four tires and adjustments and Cindric restarted seventh when the race went green on lap 52.
- The young driver moved up to sixth position on the restart and held firm to the position throughout Stage 2. Cindric said his Discount Tire Ford Mustang was better on the restart and neutral during the long run. He finished sixth when the stage ended, collecting four more valuable stage points. He pitted during the stage caution for four tires and another round of adjustments. Speedy work on the pit lane by the Discount Tire crew gave Cindric fifth position for the restart on lap 97.
- The third caution on lap 163 set up the final pit stop by Cindric. Crew chief Brian Wilson called his driver to pit road for four tires and fuel. Cindric restarted sixth on lap 172 and fell in line to eighth shortly after the race went green. He held firm to the position despite one more caution and chaotic restart with 17 laps to go.
- The Rookie Contender leaves Dover seventh in the driver standings, continuing to advance in his first-career NXS Playoff appearance. Following Saturday's race at the Monster Mile, the No. 22 team leads the owner standings by six points over the No. 42 team from Chip Ganassi Racing.
Quote: "The ball was definitely in my court today. Our Discount Tire Ford Mustang was a top-five car and I did just about that with it. We gave up in a few spots knowing the points situation and having a really solid day. I think that's one of the first races I can say that went smooth. Everyone on the team executed really well today. Thanks to Discount Tire, MoneyLion and everyone who supports this car. I get to breathe for a week. I actually get to go play with some Mustangs next weekend, so it will be fun to get my mind off of things and then it's back to scrounging and clawing and grabbing to try and get a final four spot."