Track: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Race: Indianapolis 500
Date: May 22, 2021
No. 2 Shell Fuel Rewards Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden
Time / Speed: 39.1741 seconds / 229.744 mph
Overall Time: 2:36.4735 seconds
Four-Lap Avg. Speed: 230.071 mph
No. 3 Pennzoil Dallara/Chevrolet – Scott McLaughlin
Time / Speed: 39.1517 seconds / 229.875 mph
Overall Time: 2:36.1435 seconds
Four-Lap Avg. Speed: 230.557 mph
No. 12 Verizon 5G Dallara/Chevrolet – Will Power
Time / Speed: 39.1903 seconds / 229.649 mph
Overall Time: 2:37.0492 seconds
Four-Lap Avg. Speed: 228.323 mph
No. 22 Menards Dallara/Chevrolet – Simon Pagenaud
Time / Speed: 39.1552 seconds / 229.855 mph
Overall Time: 2:36.6732 seconds
Four-Lap Avg. Speed: 229.778 mph
- Saturday brought about the first day of qualifications for the 105th running of the Indianapolis 500 with the unique dynamic of only setting positions 10-30, while identifying the Firestone Fast Nine that will run for the NTT P1 Award and those that will compete for the 33rd and final starting row tomorrow afternoon.
- Indianapolis 500 rookie Scott McLaughlin set the best four-lap average speed for Team Penske at 230.557 mph in the No. 3 Pennzoil Chevrolet, placing him 17th on the starting grid next Sunday, May 30.
- Two-time NTT INDYCAR SERIES champion Josef Newgarden was not far behind his New Zealand teammate in the 21st position on the day with a four-lap average speed of 230.071 in the No. 2 Shell Fuel Rewards Chevrolet.
- Simon Pagenaud and the No. 22 Menards Chevrolet team also solidified a starting position of 26th for the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" after posting a four-lap average speed of 229.778 mph.
- Will Power and the No. 12 Verizon 5G Chevrolet team will have the toughest road to win their second Indianapolis 500 as they will have to compete in last chance qualifying for a try to start the race in the 33rd row after his best four-lap average speed of 228.323 mph was good enough for only the 31st-fastest run of the day.