Track: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Race: Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio
Date: July 3, 2021
No. 2 XPEL Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden
Time / Speed: 1:06.0993 seconds / 122.979 mph
Position: 1st – 14th career INDYCAR SERIES pole position
Time / Speed: 1:06.6739 seconds (Fast 6) / 121.919 mph
Time / Speed: 1:08.3280 seconds / 118.967 mph
No. 3 PPG Dallara/Chevrolet – Scott McLaughlin
Time / Speed: 1:06.4364 seconds / 122.355 mph
Time/ Speed: 1:06.7313 seconds (Round 1) / 121.814 mph
Time / Speed: 1:08.4431 seconds / 118.767 mph
No. 12 Verizon 5G Dallara/Chevrolet – Will Power
Time / Speed: 1:06.3943 seconds / 122.432 mph
Time / Speed: 1:07.1161 seconds (Fast 6) / 121.115 mph
Time / Speed: 1:09.2166 seconds / 117.440 mph
No. 22 Menards Dallara/Chevrolet – Simon Pagenaud
Time / Speed: 1:06.9627 seconds / 121.393 mph
Time / Speed: 1:06.8437 seconds (Round 1) / 121.609 mph
Time / Speed: 1:08.9735 seconds / 117.854 mph
Best Practice 2 Time: 1:06.0911 seconds (No. 5 – Pato O’Ward)
Best Qualifying Time: 1:06.6739 seconds (No. 2 – Newgarden)
Best Practice 3 Time: 1:08.0256 seconds (No. 9 – Scott Dixon)
- On a day in which Team Penske celebrated the 50th anniversary of its first NTT INDYCAR SERIES victory, Josef Newgarden continued his scorching hot qualifying streak as he nipped the No. 26 of Colton Herta by .003 seconds for his third straight NTT P1 Award at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
- The qualifying session began with Will Power and the No. 12 Verizon 5G Chevrolet team being forced to deal with an electrical problem that saw them lose more than 10 minutes of time. The Australian qualifying ace was able to get on track with less than five minutes remaining and solidly place his Chevrolet into the second round.
- Simon Pagenaud and the No. 22 Menards Chevrolet team was not as fortunate. After appearing to move onto the second round on his last lap of the session, INDYCAR officials deemed that he did not properly slow down enough when trying to avoid the No. 60 of Jack Harvey who had stalled off course. His lap was canceled, and he will start the race from the 15th position.
- Rookie Scott McLaughlin narrowly missed out on moving to the second round of qualifying by .006 seconds in his first-career time trial session at Mid-Ohio and will roll off the grid from the 14th position on Sunday afternoon.
- Both Newgarden and Power advanced to the Firestone Fast Six to have a chance at the pole position, with Newgarden besting Herta on the final lap of the session. Power displayed amazing drive to overcome the issue in the first round to score a fourth place starting position.
The Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio will begin at 12:00 pm ET on NBCSN and on the INDYCAR Radio Network.