OTR SUPERSPRINT – SUNDAY, AUGUST 25 – PRACTICE, QUALIFYING AND RACE
Fabian Coulthard - No. 12 Shell V-Power Racing Ford
Practice 4 – 5th (Fastest Lap: 1m48.2135s)
Qualifying – 11th (Fastest Lap: 1m48.5303s)
Race 22 – 10th (Fastest Lap: 1m49.9898s)
Scott McLaughlin - No. 17 Shell V-Power Racing Ford
Practice 4 – 2nd (Fastest Lap: 1m47.8492s)
Qualifying – 1st (Fastest Lap: 1m47.4959s – NEW LAP RECORD)
Race 22 – 1st (Fastest Lap: 1m49.5899s)
- Scott McLaughlin has equaled Craig Lowndes 23-year-old record for highest number of wins in a single season, with his 16th victory of 2019 today at The Bend Motorsport Park.
- Lowndes set the record in 1996, and it has long been believed that it would never be broken. Such is the dominance of McLaughlin's season so far, he has equaled it with eight races remaining this year.
- Starting from pole position, McLaughlin had to work for it, with both Will Davison and Jamie Whincup passing him at the start. He got by Whincup quickly, but would not get by Davison until Lap 19 when he passed Davison as he exited pit lane.
- McLaughlin then drove to a comfortable lead, managing his tyres before taking the win by two and a half seconds from Davison, with Chaz Mostert third.
- Fabian Coulthard started 11th, however dropped to 15th on the opening lap following a big hit in the rear from Shane van Gisbergen.
- The team then shifted strategy for Car 12, pitting him early on lap five to pull Coulthard out of traffic and give him some clean air. It worked, and he was able to leap-frog several cars using the undercut to pass as they took their pit stops.
- By race end, Coulthard was up to 10th position after smart strategy and a clean drive.
- McLaughlin leads the Championship by 573 points from Mostert, with Coulthard third. Shell V-Power Racing now lead Triple Eight by 857 in the Teams' points.
COULTHARD QUOTE: "We all know that qualifying is key, especially around a place like this. We missed Q3 by only one-hundreth of a second and that was always going to make it hard. I got knocked around a fair bit at the start and dropped back to 15th, so to get back up to 10th wasn't too bad but definitely not where we want to be. I'm really looking forward to heading home to Auckland next round to race in front of that awesome Kiwi crowd."
MCLAUGHLIN QUOTE: "Equalling a record set by a legend of our sport like Craig Lowndes is very special. 2019 has been an unbelievable year so far, and I couldn't be prouder of my team for giving me all the tools to do my job. They are the best in the business, and I'm so happy to be a part of this organisation. Now we head to New Zealand for my 100th round. I love Pukekohe, and racing in front of my home crowd so I can't wait for the next one."